NIME Music Track Concert 1 Transcript of captions and on screen text: Introduction: Hi everyone, and welcome to the first of the music track concerts for this years conference. As a few of the videos for these concerts contain on-screen text with no sound, along with transcripts of the spoken intros for each piece, And these can be accessed either in the download links below, or on the NIME20 website. The five sets for this conference have been grouped into broad themes and are spread out between now and Saturday lunchtime. We've also added a live streaming gig on Saturday night, so that some of the music from NIME 2020 can be shared in a more live context. Tonight's concert features mannequin legs transformed into a suite of electronic instruments; Andean knot-weaving as a form of live coding; the musical potential of zips; and the re-imagining of Chinese instruments, both in their own right, and in form of a hybridised sound sculpture, incorporating elements of other instruments. I hope you enjoy tonights concert, loosely based on the theme of re-imagined historical and everyday objects. And please be aware that this concert contains some flashing images. 120 DEN! Tina Tonagel - Damendekobein Conny Crumbach - Damenstrumpfbein Gesine Grundmann - Schaufensterbein Britta Fehrmann - Schaufensterpuppenbein Production, camera and editing by 120 DEN Location 1: Neuer Kunstraum Düsseldorf Location 2: Conainerklang#12 at Artheater, Köln Location 3 & 4: Rehearsal at Tina’s Studio Thanks to: Christa Marek (Camera location 1) Anja Kempe, Jörg Obergföll and Heike Wintershoff (hint, camera and assistant: imitation image “Katzi Reiter by Martin Kippenberger) Tina Buchan and Hans W. Koch for their advice ON Neue Musik Köln e.V. for funding Copyright 120 DEN 2020 www.120den.de Knotting the Memory Encoding the Khipu Laddy Patricia Cadavid H. Interface Cultures - Kunstuniversität Linz Performance filmed at Setzkasten Vienna, February 2020 A Khipu is a device that was used in the ancient Inca empire for the processing and transmission of statistical and narrative information, encrypted in knots and cords of cotton wool. In this performance, the interface is refused in an electronic khipu as a MIDI controller, an instrument for the interaction and generation of live experimental sound, where through the weaving of knows, in an alternative practice of tangible live coding, it seeks to encode the interrupted legacy of this ancestral practice. The experimental sound piece presented is filled with digital textures modified by the live manipulation of the cords and knot-weaving that will encrypt a sound composition in the khipu influenced by the ancestral sounds of the Andes with a contemporary treatment. Knotting the Memory Encoding the Khipu Laddy Patricia Cadavid H. Interface Cultures - Kunstuniversität Linz Lpcadavidgmail.com - www.patriciacadavid.net Video and editing: Guillermo Tellechea - www.artoutput.at Register courtesy of Zwischen_Zeiler Live: Propelling Reality Setzkasten Vienna, February 2020 Zipper Music By Judith Shatin Max programming by Maxwell Tfirn Zippers: Danielle Zevitz and Tianyu Zhang Controllists: Alex Christie and Travis Thatcher @2020 Wendigo Music Qin Chi Wang Hi, my name is Chi Wang. I’m super excited to share my music with you in this special NIME 2020 conference. The piece you are about to hear was composed for Max, Kyma and two of those custom made performance interfaces. I made those interfaces using different sensors and micro controllers. As a cultural signifier, I was inspired by the ancient Guqin performances, both in audio and visual aspects. I hope you enjoy the music! Aurie Hsu - String Song for Kinetic Sculpture and Live Electronics Hi, my name is Aurie Hsu and I’m presenting String Song, a piece for prepared kinetic sculpture and live electronics. The kinetic sculpture is a collaboration between sound artist Kyle Hartzell and myself. in this 30 second intro, I’m showing three short demos of the sculpture close up before the performance, which is filmed from the audience. Thank you so much for watching! 3 Demo examples: Pluck Slide Spinning with Harmonics Closing Thanks: Thanks very much to all the artists who contributed tonight, we continue tomorrow with another YouTube premiere which starts at quarter past 8 UK time. See you then!